Monday, October 3, 2011

Last week of orientation


My goal for this year (where this blog is concerned): write once a week. Quite honestly, I hate writing. Journaling, blogging, essays…I hate all kinds of writing. Usually I have some good ideas up in my head, but when I actually sit down and try to write, I discover that I don’t want to commit my thoughts to paper. I’m sure there are a number of reasons behind this, but because it’s not something I’ve needed to change, I haven’t bothered to figure out what they are.

Anyway, this past week was the last week with all 41 volunteers in Quito, so naturally, I tried to spend more time out of the house with people. I’ve been hanging out at home with my family a lot – not necessarily a bad thing – so I figured I should try to get out while everyone was still here. On Wednesday, I went out to Ladies Nights with a lot of the WT ladies. It was a lot of fun to just hang out with the girls until 10 when the club allows guys in.

On Friday we had our final practice English class. I don’t know if I explained this, so let me back up for a second: for the past 2 weeks, everyone’s been practice teaching at different SECAP locations. We were divided into groups of 5 – except my group, which had 6 – and assigned one of 3 locations. Over the course of 2 weeks, the groups rotated so everybody taught at least twice. (With the exception of one group because they didn’t even students for the first couple of days.) These classes were free to the students. Friday was the last day with our class, so my group took our students to the giant KFC right across the street from our SECAP location. It was a lot of fun; they bought us chicken and we gave them their certificates saying they’d completed 26 (or 20 if they’d missed some classes) hours of English. After everyone had exchanged numbers/e-mail addresses/Facebook names, they took us to a nearby bar where we hung out and danced for an hour until we realized we had to get to the big WT group dinner. The group dinner was also a lot of fun. It was at a pizzeria called Al Forno in La Mariscal. We sat at two long tables, so it was hard to talk to everyone.  A couple of the guys brought roses for everybody, which was really sweet. After dinner, a lot of us went out dancing in La Mariscal.

On Saturday (with a few exceptions), everyone not placed in Quito scattered to the four winds.  Meanwhile, I went to Parque Itchimba with some of the remaining Quito people to see a concert. Of course I didn’t understand any of the music, but it was fun anyway. There were tons of people around, so it reminded me a little bit of ACL. I spent the rest of the weekend with my family.

My family, quite honestly, is amazing. Saturday night they took me to get hot dogs at this little stand near our house. We then ate them at a really pretty scenic overlook where we watched the clouds and fog roll in. After we drove down to Guapolo to see a church that we had seen from above. (Unfortunately, it was closed, but all the pretty antique streets were worth it anyway.) On Sunday, we met up with some of their friends in Parque Carolina. While my mom, her friend Mary, and Mary’s husband did zumba, my dad and I took my brother and his friend to go ride on the ponies. Soon it started to rain, so instead we drove about 30 minutes east of Quito where there were all these gorgeous flower stands. (I didn’t take my camera with me, so I have no pictures.) After some flower plants were purchased, we returned to Quito where we bought some KFC chicken for lunch. We brought it home, and my dad made fries and rice to go with it. In case anyone’s wondering, KFC here is a bit spicier than in the States. Finally, around 7, we drove the family friends home. They live in south Quito, so it’s difficult to get back – especially at night – when you don’t have a car. I got to see a lot of new scenery in Quito that I hadn’t seen before. Let there be no doubt: Quito at night is gorgeous.

Now there are 10 people (myself included) left in the capital. 5 are placed at CEC with me and 4 are placed at SECAP. CEC (Centro de Educación Continua) is part of a larger university called Escuela Politénica Nacional. From what I’ve been told, CEC is one of the best institutions for learning English in the country. Certainly it’s one of the best places to work, as the administration is well organized. (Yes, this means I can expect to be paid on time for the most part.)

Classes at CEC are organized in 8-week cycles with a 1 ½ weeks – 2 weeks in between each cycle. The next cycle begins October 18. Until then, I’m scheduled to work 4 pm – 8 pm doing administrative work (e.g. proctoring placement exams, putting together students packets, etc.)  I don’t know what level(s) or at what times I’ll be teaching yet. Before the start of each cycle, which is usually a Tuesday, there is a teacher meeting, usually that Monday, where the teachers are told their class level(s) and times. I do know, however, that I should not receive anything below Intermediate. (The levels are as follows: Beginner, Basic 1, Basic 2, Intermediate 1, Intermediate 2, Advanced 1, Advanced 2, Academic 1, Academic 2, Academic 3, Academic 4.) Once I actually know what I have, I can post it.

Anyway, now that it’s taken me an hour to write all of this, and I think I’ve included everything, I’m going to go eat lunch. Some more fun facts about life in Ecuador:

1) Most people here are pretty short. For example, I am taller than my host dad.
2) People here drive like madmen. Sometimes they’re in 2 lanes. At night they’ll run red lights (although this is also a bit of a safety habit too. Why wait at a corner like a sitting duck if there are no cars?)
3) Public college is free, but can also be difficult to get into.
4) The form of currency is the dollar. However, stores and restaurants do not always have change for a $10. If it’s a $20 (which is what you get when you go the ATM), forget it. You have to go to a big chain like Supermaxi (a grocery store) to break it.
5) House photos!

It was raining outside, so I had to hang up my clothes in my room.

Table where the family eats breakfast and almuerzo.

No dishwasher. Gas stove/oven. 

Chiqui, the family dog. He's an attention whore.

Where clothes get hung up to dry. My room is the window on the right, all the way at the end.

My mom is a beautician, and will occasionally have clients in the house.

Where the car is (usually) parked + the door to the outside world.

Living room/family room. The picture hanging under the clock is of my brother when he was younger in a little tux.


I can't seem to get a good picture of my bathroom because the lighting sucks. But that's the shower on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment